Kaev

Which WoW modding/emulation software do you want to see?

80 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Koward said:

It's once again the open source/closed source debate.

I would just like to remind those who do not publish anything that without the Wiki and other important resources you would all have absolutely nothing. Everything you're basing your work on has been shared for free by others.

It's human to want the thanks and the credit. It makes you feel good, integrated and indispensable, it's a basic instinct. In the past and on another forums, some people took my work too, and I felt the same pain and rage in my heart. Yes, people will always just thank the last man at the chain like if he was the one that invented the wheel, whether it's the actual author of something or some reposter. But amongst those people, there were some that now make progress and share new things. Even 1 over 10000 leechers is enough to make difference. And then others will base their work on their stuff too.

Look at the catastrophic Mangos situation. Every little server do its own fixes, then die years later, and everyone in the world is always fixing the same god damn Darkshore quest. Is this what we want ? Is this really the most efficient way to work in 2016 ? We should not do that for any project. Not for emulation, not for modding, not for anything.

So if it's your goal to get thanks (and it's perfectly normal), go ahead, keep for yourself whatever you do. But if you want to do something beyond your own person, and make the community progress as a whole, then please share.

 

100% this. I wanted to write the same but u were faster. :P I mentioned TrinityCore for the example, but every other core fits too. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if its a thing already...

But perhaps a program that gives the path of an WMO/M2 file, like the log of Modelviewer shows when it loads an item?

It takes a long time to get all those items inported to noggit by hand...

(sorry if you dont understand a thing of what im saying, im not that good with the profession therms)

-kekie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always the same debate open source vs closed source.

 

The problem is closed source is working better. How can I say that ? Look at Neo, WoW Editorn, a lot of others softwares, everybody left them, I'm kinda sure you can't do that when you work on a closed repository, because you're motivated by the idea of non sharing :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hyakkimaru said:

Look at Neo, WoW Editorn, a lot of others softwares, everybody left them, I'm kinda sure you can't do that when you work on a closed repository, because you're motivated by the idea of non sharing :/

I don't think you can be motivated by "non sharing". I think what can motivate is profit, whether in the form of money or peer recognition.

However I don't know if the modding of WoW has reached a status where there's enough money and public to maintain innovation through competition like what we can observe in other fields. In small communities, the risk of abandon is present even in closed source.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I'm motivated to do tools that are useful for me, like my converter or helping with noggit development. I'm not a fan of the idea of making tool for profit, I think it's better that people reward someone if they find that his work deserve to be rewarded.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Koward said:

I don't think you can be motivated by "non sharing". I think what can motivate is profit, whether in the form of money or peer recognition.

However I don't know if the modding of WoW has reached a status where there's enough money and public to maintain innovation through competition like what we can observe in other fields. In small communities, the risk of abandon is present even in closed source.

I've cancelled so many closed source projects already that i can't even count anymore.

I'm motivated to release things because i love to make people happy and see/read their reactions. It's a pretty awesome reward for me.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why you're a good dev, some people should think you're crazy.

I can give you an example (Stormheim again)

They don't share or release, they don't help, their admins are ddosing the last standing french wow community because they were banned because of their behaviors.

Those guys want to beat Firestorm, they don't care about helping others, that's why we don't appreciate them, I agree with you, imo nothing is better than a thank you and some questions about your last release, making people happy is a great reward, better than money :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's better to OpenSource your program, like said everybody here, OpenSource helps the community, and another thing very important, it helps to a lot of devs when he/she are making his job, for example, you done an alogrithm for shape a terrain and another person don't know how to di it, if he/she watch the code and understand it, can collaborate and improve the code or make more things, it's just my opinion. In my class yesterday we started Object Oriented Programming but when i can do my tools i share it to the community and will do it OpenSource 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/5/2016 at 11:36 PM, Rangorn said:

I'm paranoiac, i don't want to share programs whose can be used for concurents servers (i'm talking about french community)

 

 

I never shared one of your programs, I'm using it simply. Someone ask me for your CharSections program, I've it with the sources, but I haven't shared to someone. And I know why you don't share it, you've the fear of the concurents servers got more content than your server. If not, why you don't share it with me ? Aha, no really. I know why, and I respect your choice. I've finished this war of French server and community, fuck it. I work like I can, you're my "master" of modding, and I haven't shared something. I'll wait for someone doing these for WoD, and voila. ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's stupid to not share another person will do it at another time, so... why always closed source... it's only a swindle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrXJKz said:

 

I never shared one of your programs, I'm using it simply. Someone ask me for your CharSections program, I've it with the sources, but I haven't shared to someone. And I know why you don't share it, you've the fear of the concurents servers got more content than your server. If not, why you don't share it with me ? Aha, no really. I know why, and I respect your choice. I've finished this war of French server and community, fuck it. I work like I can, you're my "master" of modding, and I haven't shared something. I'll wait for someone doing these for WoD, and voila. ^^

i will and i should stay the N°1 in french community post-wotlk modding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rangorn said:

i will and i should stay the N°1 in french community post-wotlk modding.

You will release it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rangorn said:

No, personnal usage

And now, we know why the TLK community don't want to upgrade to WoD if nobody share his programs for modding. It's because guys like you Rangorn, you don't want to share, but you spit at the TLK community.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By now I think it is determined whether Rangoon is a troll or an idiot, and I guess while feeding trolls at least would result in comedic value, one should probably stop trying to talk to it.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wungasaurus said:

By now I think it is determined whether Rangoon is a troll or an idiot, and I guess while feeding trolls at least would result in comedic value, one should probably stop trying to talk to it.



I always hate when colored names or some similiar badges belongs to those who never try to put yourself into his skin and THINK WHY THE FUCK HE DO WHAT HE ACTUALY DO 

I shared lot of content i shared lot of knowleadge and i help often to ppl here or Modcraft but i dont hide that i never share my best pieces my best scripts " My Masterpieces " because when i create something uniq i want to hold it as long as possible until i get propeth credits as creator and inventor then i release it 

have you seen any M2redux tut from me ? - maybe some vid in theme of  "Creating of blabla" but i never explained or not even tried to learn someone how am i doing my personal miracles ( Same situation with my HD models downport to LK i have been browing every lame version that was ever released and i can say that i never see any that would be better then my one ) and once those exclusivities fall into abyss of forgotness then i will release it to everyone or you can buy it from me right now i am money gathering machine if you want to talk about this 

You can work for server like Vell and keep everything strictly for his server does thise make him idiot for non share ? Are you stable ? 
To keep conversions scripts for his server to make his content exclusiv to get attension of players and now allow to someone else have that conten too is being asshole ? look around you ... everyone around here is doing it but not a person will tell you that he is keeping Ion Canon under his bed and if yes then you can wait for day when he release it to everyone to have it once he gets satisfaing profit from his hard work 

This community is not community where are everyone friends that should share friendship and tools we have competition out here and because of this we have to make neccesary steps to be best of em' and that does include not to share every Ace you have to that one who sits on opposite side chessboard

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alastor, I also haven't release every tool I've made and I understand very well that sharing everything is not an option, but there is a difference between not sharing a bragging about having something just to tell everyone that it's for personal use only and belittling other because of that (especially when one can't stand not receiving the help he wants).

It's not because you have hd model/item/... or whatever comes from blizzard that you'll have a great server and attract a lot of people, it's the way you use them that matters and everything you create by yourself, and this won't be stolen just because someone else has the same assets from legion or another extension.

And maybe those who are afraid of concurrent knows that what they do isn't that great.

 

Because if everybody kept what they knew/had for themselves, wow modding would not be a thing...

It's a shame, fighting won't help anyone... but I guess it's human nature.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alastor Strix'Efuartus said:



I always hate when colored names or some similiar badges belongs to those who never try to put yourself into his skin and THINK WHY THE FUCK HE DO WHAT HE ACTUALY DO 

I shared lot of content i shared lot of knowleadge and i help often to ppl here or Modcraft but i dont hide that i never share my best pieces my best scripts " My Masterpieces " because when i create something uniq i want to hold it as long as possible until i get propeth credits as creator and inventor then i release it 

have you seen any M2redux tut from me ? - maybe some vid in theme of  "Creating of blabla" but i never explained or not even tried to learn someone how am i doing my personal miracles ( Same situation with my HD models downport to LK i have been browing every lame version that was ever released and i can say that i never see any that would be better then my one ) and once those exclusivities fall into abyss of forgotness then i will release it to everyone or you can buy it from me right now i am money gathering machine if you want to talk about this 

You can work for server like Vell and keep everything strictly for his server does thise make him idiot for non share ? Are you stable ? 
To keep conversions scripts for his server to make his content exclusiv to get attension of players and now allow to someone else have that conten too is being asshole ? look around you ... everyone around here is doing it but not a person will tell you that he is keeping Ion Canon under his bed and if yes then you can wait for day when he release it to everyone to have it once he gets satisfaing profit from his hard work 

This community is not community where are everyone friends that should share friendship and tools we have competition out here and because of this we have to make neccesary steps to be best of em' and that does include not to share every Ace you have to that one who sits on opposite side chessboard

Thank you dude, this is exactly this

Read this everybody : http://www.aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?jdlf&i1ms&i2l.jpg

Community is full of grassehoppers, i consider myself as an ant.

 

53 minutes ago, wungasaurus said:

By now I think it is determined whether Rangoon is a troll or an idiot, and I guess while feeding trolls at least would result in comedic value, one should probably stop trying to talk to it.

so salty

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not see what's the point of that conversation here. Everyone does what he wants, though bragging and teasing people with what you are not going to release (I do not mean show-offs, I mean literal bragging and provoking people) is at a very least impolite. 

For me it is obvious that you should not release everything you make. That's totally fine. You develop your content, keep it for yourself, you have the rights and reasons to do it. As Alastor said, he does not want to tell out all of his ways to achieve some certain results which make his works unique, that's also totally fine. But in case of retroporting and other porting, it is not something that can make your content unique. It is not something to be proud of because it is simple. There is really no problem in writing a tool that eliminates differences between different WMO, M2, ADT etc versions, especially if it is an upconverting to WoD. You still can keep whatever you want to keep by yourself for whatever reasons, no one minds it, just please stop bragging and teasing people. Let's show some respect to each other like people usually do in healthy societies. That's not hard at all. 

I personally does not share everything I make. Though, I share any information I find because when I started modding what I was getting were tools and information created or gathered by other people for free (like noggit, WoWDev wiki content and so on). As you see, I give information in exchange for that help if I find something. I know some ways to do things faster or in a more interesting way, I do not share those because they are mine and define my personal style of work. But I do share technical information that can help you achive the same results if you think a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still helping sometimes (essentially on modcraft) people who have a problems, or people who want to do something but they have no idea what is the DBC related to their problem.

but being a jerk for few days is more visible than regulary helping people with small problems since 2 or 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should get programmers to make tolls and Modcraft will pay for it!

Make WoW modding great again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump !

I just thought about something... Do we have a really good and working tool for making fly path ?

Because I never really understood how to do it and when I tried, I had some issues... So, good idea or not ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hyakkimaru said:

Bump !

I just thought about something... Do we have a really good and working tool for making fly path ?

Because I never really understood how to do it and when I tried, I had some issues... So, good idea or not ?

It's DBC related, if you give me time i can do it :D My new tool try to handle a lot of DBC, so, give me time :D 

For now i have to learn how to handle every kind of var and translate it to a string to write his file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/5/2016 at 6:02 PM, sshroud said:

Me too, never found a link for it, but I'd love an open source implementation so I can write a simple script to automate the job. Building dbc files from a DB and deploying them into an MPQ. Fortunately the MPQ part is covered as Ladik's MPQ Editor has command line support. :D

i will do it, so if you wait i will do it for you, and ofc my work it will be OpenSource

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now